Hon. Garth Wilkin
WELCOME TO THE OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL ONLINE
In accordance with Section 64 of the Constitution of St. Kitts and Nevis, the Attorney General is the principal legal adviser to the Government of St. Christopher and Nevis and is responsible for advising the various government ministries and institutions
It is the principal Mission of this Office to provide legal advice and services to and on behalf of the Crown and to conduct and regulate all litigation for and against the Crown or any Ministry or Agency of Government.
Our supporting staff includes:
- A Solicitor General
- Senior Crown Counsel
- Crown Counsel
- Other Counsel including Parliamentary Counsel
- Personal Assistant
- Other Clerical Staff
The duties and responsibilities as outlined in the Attorney General’s Act include:
- Ensuring that the administration of public affairs is in accordance with the Constitution and the law;
- Superintending all matters connected with the administration of justice;
- Advising on the legislative agenda and generally advising government on all matters of law referred to the Attorney General’s Chambers;
- Advising the Government on all matters of a legislative nature and superintending all Government measures of a legislative nature;
- Advising the heads of the Government Ministries and agencies on all matters of law affecting such Ministries and agencies and Government as a whole;
- Conducting and regulating all litigation for and against the Crown and any Government Ministry or agency;
- Performing such other functions as assigned by the Governor General, acting in accordance with the advice of the Prime Minister.
The Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions operates as an independent functionary under the aegis of the Office of the Attorney General by receiving administrative support from this office.
The Office of the Attorney General provides support for the independent functioning of the Supervisor of Elections. As such the Electoral Office is also a ministerial responsibility of this office.
Please feel free to contact us in regard to any clarifications that you may need.
Hon. Garth Wilkin