This is the News Single Layout page. This element exists only to be referenced in JS
Launch of Revised Laws and Laws Online
Office of the AG
In a short but very impressive ceremony hosted at Government House on Wednesday morning 4th March 2020, a new iteration of Revised Laws of St. Kitts and Nevis was unveiled by His Excellency the Governor General Sir S. W. Tapley Seaton CGMG, CVO, QC, JP, LLD. The exercise was the culmination of an arduous process of detailed updating of the Federation’s statutes conducted by the Law Commission in collaboration with the Law Revision Centre in Anguilla.
The full set of volumes is comprised of the New Revised Edition of the Laws of St. Kitts and Nevis and the Ordinances of the Island of Nevis. They contain all of the laws of the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis and the ordinances of the Island of Nevis; inclusive of all amendments and new legislation between the period of 2010 to 2017.
In addition to the printed volumes the laws are also captured on a dedicated website lawcommission.gov.kn as well as on CD Rom. This provides alternative means of access to all interested persons, particularly lawyers and legal researchers. A demonstration the applicability of these tools was provided by Ms Yolande Dash of the Regional Law Revision Centre.
Law Reform Commissioner Ms. Josephine Mallalieu chaired the proceedings which also featured the following:
- An Opening Prayer by Mr. Rohan Walters, Legal Researcher at the Law Commission Office
- The singing of the National Anthem by Ms. Laurencia Knight
- Welcome Remarks by Ms. Diana Francis, Permanent Secretary for the Attorney General’s Office and the Ministry of Justice, Legal Affairs and Communications
- Remarks by Attorney General Hon. Vincent Byron
- Overview and demonstration of the products by Ms. Yolande Dash of the Regional Law Revision Centre in Anguilla
- Unveiling of the Volumes of Printed Laws by His Excellency The Governor General Sir S. W. Tapley Seaton; and
- A Vote of Thanks by Mr. Rohan Walters, Legal Researcher at the Law Commission
The Attorney General Related an Apology from the Prime Minister Hon. Dr. Timothy Harris for his being unable to be present as a result of an Emergency Cabinet Meeting.
Among the other persons in attendance were:
- The Speaker of the National Assembly, The Hon Michael Perkins
- High Court Judges, His Lordship Justice Eddy Ventose and His Lordship Justice Patrick Thompson Jr.
- Registrar of the High Court Mrs. Janine Harris-Lake
- Director of Public Prosecutions Mr. Valston Graham
- Solicitor general Mrs. Simone Bullen Thompson
- Registrar of Lands Mrs. Dawn Chambers Myers
- Senior Magistrate His Honour Mr. Renold Benjamin
- Other Magistrates, His Honour Mr. Fitzroy Eddy and Her Honour Ms. Donna Harris
- Commander of the Defence Force, Lt. Col. Anthony Comrie
- Learned QCs Dr. Henry Browne and Emile Ferdinand
- Director of Legal Aid Ms. Alethea Gumbs
- President of the Bar Association Mrs. Dahlia Joseph Rowe and several other members of the Bar Council and local legal fraternity
- Crown Counsels of the Chambers of the Attorney General
- E-Government Coordinator at the Information and Communication Technology Centre Ms Ophelia Blanchard
The availability of this most recent update of the laws in printed and electronic formats is expected to significantly empower the legal fraternity as well as members of the general public. They will undoubtedly derive benefits from being able to have any and all pieces of legislation at their fingertips by way of the click of a button. This is a further evidence of the continuing thrust of the Government to leverage technology in its efforts to promote efficiencies in the conduct of its affairs and enabling citizens to do likewise.